Full Graphics | Accessibility

Useful contacts

Step 7 is all about knowing when to get help. If you've got a problem, there are a number of organisations that can offer information and support to help you resolve it. Here we list some of them and explain what they do.

Useful contacts

What does it mean?

Complaints procedure
The set process that an organisation must follow to deal with your complaint.

An independent person at the top of the complaints ladder, whose job it is to investigate complaints fairly.

In mediation, an independent third person (the mediator) helps people to reach an agreement.

A tribunal is a type of court where a panel of people make judgments on things like disagreements over employment and benefits.

We bring together the best law and rights information from over 250 internet providers and produce our own, easy to follow guides.
Advicenow Home

AdviceUK is a network of independent advice centres. Some give general information and advice whilst others specialise in one or more area of law. You can use their search to find out if there is an AdviceUK centre near you (see 'Links to other websites' on the right hand side).

Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB) help people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free information and advice. Find your local CAB by visiting their website (see 'Links to other websites' on the right hand side).

Civil Legal Advice
Civil Legal Advice is a national adviceline for England and Wales. It can check if you are entitled to legal aid and then can provide advice for problems with debt (where you might lose your home), special educational needs, housing, family (involving domestic violence, child abuse or where a child may be taken into care), discrimination and welfare benefits appeals (see 'Links to other websites' on the right hand side).

Law Centres Network
Law Centres are staffed by both solicitors and other workers who specialise in legal problems. They offer a free and independent service. You can find out if there is a Law Centre near you by visiting their website.
(see 'Links to other websites').

The Law Society
The Law Society is the organisation that governs lawyers. You can search for a solicitor by area of law on the Law Society website (see 'Links to other websites').

January 2014

Get advice

Need help with a problem? Find advice services and solicitors near you who can help you solve your problem. Many people are able to get free help and advice.

Have we been helpful? Could you help us in return?

Advice Now Web 0033 Op

If you found this information helpful could you make a small donation to help us keep this website up and running. Just text the code ADVN22 £2 (or any amount between £1-10) to 70070 to donate to us. We are a very small charity and rely on donations, grants, and sponsorship. Alternatively, If you are a Facebook user you could share the guide you liked on your wall (there is a button at the bottom of the page) or you could post it to any relevant forums you use.

Please rate this article:

In this section

Where do you tend to go for advice when you have a problem?

Links to other websites

Get Adobe Reader

Get Adobe ReaderSome documents require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them. Download it here.

Problems Downloading? Download help