How to do your application for an injunction following domestic violence - film

This film shows you what to do if you need to apply for a court order to protect yourself (known as an injunction) following domestic violence. It shows you how you may be able to get help with the whole process. And if you can't, it shows you how to fill in the form to apply for an injunction, called the FL401 form.
What to do

Watch this film to see where you can get help to decide if you need to apply for an injunction following domestic violence or abuse.  It tells you where to go for advice on what to do next.  If you can get legal aid or afford a solicitor, it is best to do that.

If you can't get legal aid (or can't afford to pay the contribution you have been asked to pay), and can't afford to pay a solicitor, this film tells you how to fill in the form you need to do to apply for an injunction, step by step.

When you have done your form to apply for an injunction you need to write your statement to go with it. Your statement is like a long letter to the court.  It needs to explain why you are applying for an injunction.  

We have a separate guide to help you write your statement.  So, when you are ready take a look at How to write your statement to apply for an injunction.  

June 2019
More help and advice

If you haven't watched our film on how to do your form to apply for an injunction, we suggest you start there, because the film sets out what you need to do step by step.  

Below you can find all the links from the film.  

Finding out if you can get legal aid to pay for a solicitor to help you

Go to the website to see if you may be entitled to legal aid.  This site can give you an idea if you can get legal aid but not a final answer.  

Look at the Resolution website to find a family law solicitor who does legal aid. You can find a solicitor near you by putting in your postcode. Solicitors that come up near you who do legal aid work have a green tick next to their name.  A solicitor who does legal aid work will  be able to assess you to see if you can get legal aid.  You may get legal aid or you may get legal aid and have to pay a monthly contribution. Or, you may not be entitled to legal aid at all.  It depends on your financial situation.  

Getting free legal advice 

If you can't find a solicitor near you who does legal aid or you are not entitled to legal aid and you can't afford a solicitor then you need to go somewhere else for some free legal advice.  

FLOWS at RCJ Advice is a free legal advice service. They can help you decide if you need to apply for an injunction and can tell you the steps to take. You can contact the FLOWS team by phone and email: 0203 745 7707  -

FLOWS can also link you to their online tool, CourtNav. CourtNav will ask you questions that will then complete the application and the supporting statement for an injunction. Throughout CourtNav there is help to guide you through the process. Your application will be checked by a family law solicitor, who can provide you with online legal advice to ensure that your application is ready for court.

There is also The National Centre for Domestic Violence.  They can advise you over the phone and can often help you through the whole process of getting an injunction for free.  08009702070

Rights of Women has a helpline that is run by lawyers in their own time. They have two helplines - so make sure you call the right one for you.  There is one for women living in London and a different one for women living outside London. 

For women in London call 020 7608 1137

For women elsewhere in England and Wales call 020 7251 6577

Rights of women also has a helpful film about going to the family court and what special arrangements can be put in place to keep you safe when you are there and when you are going to and from the court building. 

Finding your local family court 

If you decide to apply for an injunction you will need to go to your local family court with your finished form and statement to give the court your application and to see a Judge.  You can go to the court and tribunal finder site and put in your postcode to find your nearest family court.  If you don't have access to a computer or printer you can also get copies of the forms you need from the court. 


About this film

The information in this guide applies to England and Wales. 

The law is complicated. We have simplified things in this guide. Please don’t rely on this guide as a complete statement of the law. We recommend you try and get advice from the sources we have suggested.


FLOWS logo

This guide was written and produced by Advicenow with funding from the Family Justice Council and FLOWS - Finding Legal Options for Women Survivors, from RCJ Advice. 

Can you help us?

We are always trying to improve our service. If you have any comments on what you like or don’t like about this guide please visit our Feedback page.

If you would like this guide in another format please email

2 Reviews

Very practical information

An incredibly useful film and guide, detailed enough to help people through the process but simple enough to understand. Information is broken down into easy stages to make the process less overwhelming and less stressful.

on the 27 / 06 / 2019

Extremely useful video.

Extremely useful video. Straight forward and not full of legal jargon. Made the application process much more bearable.

on the 13 / 09 / 2021

Add new review

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Share this content

Email, print or share via social media