How to get free practical help and emotional support about your case in the family court

This page explains where you may be able to get free practical help and emotional support to deal with your case in the family court. It is not always easy so start trying as soon as you can, and see also the page about how to get free or low cost legal advice.

Divorcing or ending a civil partnership?

CourtNav is an online tool that helps you complete the divorce forms correctly and ensures they are checked by a solicitor before you submit your documents to Court, giving you the confidence of knowing that your documents are correct. To use Courtnav, make an appointment at your local Citizens’ Advice.

Support Through Court aims to help you represent yourself more confidently in court, by providing practical advice, information and emotional support in civil courts. Support Through Court volunteers can help you fill in forms, organise your papers and your thoughts, and refer you to organisations who can give you legal advice or representation. During the coronavirus crisis the face-to-face services are closed but they have a national helpline staffed by volunteers. The helpline is free, confidential and independent from the court. Call 0300 081 0006 open 9.30-4.30pm Monday to Friday. 

Citizens Advice can offer practical advice from over 3,500 locations including high streets, community centres, doctors' surgeries, courts and prisons. Search for your local Citizens Advice service. During the coronavirus crisis, many local Citizens Advice services are offering advice over the telephone.

Or call the national helpline - 03444 111 444 (from England) or 03444 77 20 20 (from Wales). Calls cost the same as calls to 01 and 02 numbers. They will be included as part of a mobile allowance or a landline call package.  

If you have not found a service that can help you see our Help Directory or go back to the Going to the family court section.  

March 2020

Share this content

Email, print or share via social media