Once you have made your purchase and have consented to the start of the download, you can not return it if you change your mind. Your other statutory rights are not affected.
Terms and conditions
Advicenow is provided by Law for Life: the Foundation for Public Legal Education ("Law for Life") a registered charity – Charity no. 1143589. We are also a company limited by guarantee, registered in England & Wales no. 07695486. Our registered office is Law for Life, 404 Southbank House, Black Prince Road, London, SE1 7SJ.
We are an education and information charity that aims to increase access to justice by providing everyone with an awareness of their legal rights together with the confidence and skills to assert them. We run this independent, not-for-profit website, advicenow.org.uk to provide information on rights and the law.
Purchased guides - cancellations and returns
Thank you for buying a guide from Law for Life's Advicenow.
By clicking the 'Buy now' button you consent to the supply of the digital content.
If, however, you experience difficulty accessing your download then help is available. Please get in touch: Contact us
Change of mind
We hope you will be happy with your purchase from Law for Life's Advicenow. However, you have the right to return your purchase within 14 days without giving any reason, as long as:
- You inform us you are cancelling the purchase no later than the 14th day after the day on which you received your print on demand guide;
- You have taken reasonable care of the print on demand guide.
- You will be responsible for the cost of returning the print on demand guide to us (unless it is faulty, incorrect or misdescribed).
- You return the print on demand guide in suitable packaging to ensure it reaches us in good condition.
Please contact us providing all the details below to let us know that you want to return your print on demand guide. For most people it will be easiest to copy and paste the form below into our contact us form and complete it there.
To Law for Life, 404 Southbank House, Black Prince Road, London, SE1 7SJ.
I hereby give notice that I cancel my contract of sale of the following goods:
Defective, damaged or not as described
If your printed purchase is in any way defective, damaged or not as described, please contact us immediately with your proof of purchase, and we will arrange for a replacement or refund where necessary.
All the material on this website is copyright of Law for Life or is used with the permission of the owners. Your use of the website and its content grants no rights to you in relation to Law for Life's intellectual property rights including, without limitation, copyright, trade marks, logos, graphics, photographs, animations, videos and text or the intellectual property of third parties in the website and its contents.
- You may copy electronically and print a reasonable number of copies of portions of this site for personal use.
- If you are an adviser or work in a community group you may print a reasonable number of copies of portions of this site for use with clients or service users in advice agencies and community groups. However, you are strongly advised to make sure that you provide them with the most up to date version. Please ensure that service users understand that the law changes, meaning that what you print off and give them may go out of date.
- You may make multiple copies of teaching and learning resources for use in educational establishments.
- Please make sure that you have read and understand our disclaimer.
Any other use of materials on this website including reproduction for purposes other than those noted above, distribution, republication, transmission, re-transmission, modification, or public showing whether for gain or otherwise is strictly prohibited.
Law for Life believes that access to quality legal and rights information helps the general public decide whether or not to access the legal system, and helps the general public when dealing with the legal system.
The information on the site is for general information purposes only, to give a high level overview of particular areas of law. The information relates to the laws of England and Wales only. Please do not rely on it as a substitute for getting legal advice about what to do in the specific circumstances of your case.
Whilst we have taken reasonable steps to ensure that the information provided through the website is correct at the time of creation, Law for Life does not make any representation as to and accepts no liability for the accuracy of information contained on this website, or that the information provided is comprehensive.
In so far as permitted by law, Law for Life will not be liable for any other loss, damage or inconvenience arising as a consequence of any use of, or the inability to use, any information on this site.
This disclaimer is not intended to exclude or limit liability for anything which may not legally be excluded or limited. For example we do not seek to exclude or limit our liability for: (i) fraudulent misrepresentation by us or our employees or agents; or (ii) death or personal injury caused by our negligence or that of our employees or agents.
This privacy notice was updated on 21st November 2018.
Law for Life is committed to protecting your privacy, and we are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office as a data controller. Our registration number is: ZA068382.
What do we do with your information?
- When you browse our website we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system. For more information on Cookies see the section below.
- If you send us a message using our feedback form we collect the personal information you give us such as your name, email address and query in order to reply to you. We may use the information you have given us to send you a feedback survey after we have replied to you.
- When you buy something from us, as part of the buying and selling process, we collect the personal information you give us such as your name, address and email address.
- If you request a copy of one of our extended guides for free we collect your name, email address and other personal information that you choose to give us.
- If you use the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA) mandatory reconsideration letter tool we do not store the personal information you input to the form, but we do use it to generate the letter and email it to you. Sometimes the email containing your letter returns to us if the email address can’t be found. We immediately delete these emails.
- If you fill in one of our surveys we do not ask for information which can identify you.
- If you sign up to our newsletter and give your permission, we may send you emails about other guides and updates.
How do you get my consent?
When you give us personal information, for example to send us feedback, complete a transaction, verify your credit card, place an order or arrange for a delivery, etc we assume that you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only.
If we ask for your personal information for another reason, like marketing, we will either ask you directly for your expressed consent, or provide you with an opportunity to say no.
How do I withdraw my consent?
If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent for us to contact you, for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your information, at any time, by contacting us or writing to us at: Law for Life: the Foundation for Public Legal Education, 404 Southbank House, Black Prince Road, London, SE1 7SJ, United Kingdom.
We may make your personal information available if we are required by law to do so or if you violate our terms and conditions.
We use Shopify Inc to provide us with the online e-commerce platform that allows us to sell our products and services to you.
Your data is stored through Shopify’s data storage, databases and the general Shopify application. They store your data on a secure server behind a firewall.
If you choose a direct payment gateway, such as PayPal, to complete your purchase, then Shopify stores your credit card data. It is encrypted through the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS). Your purchase transaction data is stored only as long as is necessary to complete your purchase transaction. After that is complete, your purchase transaction information is deleted.
Read Shopify’s privacy statement.
Other providers we use
In general, the providers we use, such as print on demand suppliers will only collect, use and disclose your information to allow them to perform the services they provide for us.
However, some providers, such as payment gateways and other payment transaction processors, have their own privacy policies for the information we need to give to them for your purchase-related transactions.
For these providers, we recommend that you read their privacy policies so you can understand how they handle your personal information.
In particular, remember that certain providers may be located in or have facilities in a different jurisdiction (outside of England and Wales). So if you decide to carry on with a transaction that involves the services of one of these, then your information may become subject to the laws of the jurisdiction in which that service provider or its facilities are located.
Once you leave our website or are redirected to another website or application, you are no longer governed by this privacy notice.
When you click on links on our website, they may direct you away from our site. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites and encourage you to read their privacy statements.
To protect your personal information, we take precautions and follow best practices to make sure it is not lost, misused, or inappropriately accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed.
If you provide us with your credit card information, the information is encrypted using secure socket layer technology (SSL) and stored with a AES-256 encryption. Although no method of transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is 100% secure, we follow all PCI-DSS requirements and implement additional generally accepted industry standards.
We reserve the right to update this privacy notice at any time, so please do check it frequently. Changes and clarifications will take effect immediately upon their posting on the website. If we make material changes to this policy, we will notify you here that it has been updated.
If our website is acquired or merged with another organisation, your information may be transferred to the new organisation so that we may continue to sell products to you.
Questions and contact information
If you would like to access, correct, amend or delete any personal information we have about you, register a complaint, or simply want more information, use our contact form or write to Law for Life: the Foundation for Public Legal Education, 404 Southbank House, Black Prince Road, London, SE1 7SJ. We will be happy to help.
Law for Life is committed to excellent service and we aim to resolve any complaints or concerns promptly and fairly.
- If you have a complaint about the service you receive from Law for Life's Advicenow, please contact us in writing stating the nature of the complaint.
Please provide a clear description of your complaint and what you would like us to do to resolve the matter. You will need to provide your full name and contact details.
You will receive an acknowledgement of your complaint within five working days. We will investigate the matter fully and reply to you within 15 working days stating our findings and what action may be taken.
- If you are not happy with the response to your initial complain please contact Law for Life’s Chief Executive.
- If your complaint is regarding the Chief Executive, address the complaint to the Chair of Trustees.
The Chief Executive or Chair will investigate the matter fully and reply to you within 15 working days stating his/her findings and what action may be taken.
If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction following your complaint, you may take the matter further by writing to the Trustees of Law for Life who will advise you of any further action you may take if you are not satisfied with our response.