Chair of Trustees
Closing date Midnight Sunday 14th January 2024
Are you a strategic leader who is dedicated to access to justice with a track record in the legal or not for profit sector?
Could you help shape the future strategy of public legal education?
Law for Life is the leading public legal education charity in the UK. We strive for social justice by legally empowering individuals and communities. We are seeking a new Chair of Trustees - For more infomation click here
With our current Chair, Amanda Finlay CBE, concluding her impressive term the stage is set for a new leader to shape our mission, inspire innovation, and steer our organisation toward an even brighter future. Our new Chair will join us in ensuring we reach ever more people who need legal support and advice and in shaping the legal landscape for the better.
As our new Chair of the Board of Trustees, you will play a key role in leading the charity in fulfilling our vision. You will lead the Board of Trustees and will support and advise the Chief Executive Officer to ensure that Law for Life is well governed, develops and delivers our ambitious strategy. You will be joining the team at an exciting time of growth and development for the Charity. We have a committed and capable Board of eight Trustees and a small but strong team of 10 staff members supported by a team of Associates. This role is a truly exciting opportunity to help develop our people and services to meet the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead as we continue to grow. We will ensure an effective handover from our current Chair and a tailored induction programme to help the successful candidate fulfil the promise of this opportunity. The Chair is appointed an initial term of 4 years and can be reappointed once. The Trustee Board meet four times a year with one ‘away day’ style meeting. We meet virtually with occasional London in person meetings. In addition, the Chair would be required to meet monthly with the CEO remotely and represent the Charity at key events.
Law for Life is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from all members of the community, particularly from those currently under-represented including young people, people with disabilities and people from minority ethnic groups.
The successful candidate will have the following essential experience and skills:
- Substantial experience working in the justice and/or human rights sectors (including related health or technology fields).
- Proven experience in a leadership or governance role, demonstrating the ability to lead and inspire a diverse group of trustees and stakeholders.
- Strong strategic thinking and vision, with the ability to set and implement the charity's long-term strategic direction and to bring an innovative and creative mindset to the charity.
- Understanding of governance principles and a commitment to ensuring the highest standards of governance within the charity.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to represent the charity effectively to external stakeholders, donors, and the public.
- Proficiency in stakeholder engagement and management, including the ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse groups of stakeholders.
- Strong financial acumen, including the ability to oversee budgets, financial reporting, and financial sustainability.
- A genuine commitment to and passion for Law of Life’s mission and values, with a demonstrated dedication to social justice and public legal education.
- High ethical standards and integrity, with the ability to lead by example and uphold the charity's reputation.
- A commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion within the charity and its governance structure.
- A collaborative and inclusive leadership style, fostering teamwork and consensus among board members and stakeholders.
- Resilience in the face of challenges and the ability to make tough decisions when necessary.
How to apply
If you are talented, passionate about social justice and want to use your skills, knowledge, and experience to help bring about change, then please complete our application form and send this form along with an up to date CV to our Office Manager email@example.com by Midnight Sunday 14th January 2024
We offer all applicants the opportunity of an in formal online chat with either our outgoing Chair, Interim Chair or CEO (Depending on diary availability).
Please email Amy Milner to arrange