Part of our step-by-step help to deal with separation and divorce

How to fill in your financial statement (Form E) - film

This 30-minute film is for people going to court about their finances as part of a divorce or ending a civil partnership and don't have a lawyer to help. It is a step-by-step guide to how you fill out your financial statement (Form E) yourself. Watch Rosemary as she completes her own form and explains what details you put where, and what all the gobbledygook actually means.
How to fill in your financial statement
(35) Read all reviews
How to fill in your financial statement (Form E)

You have to fill in a financial statement (Form E) if you are going to court in England or Wales to get a financial order after you’ve split up with your ex-husband, wife or civil partner. If you're doing this without the help of a lawyer, it’s a very daunting prospect. So that’s why we’ve made this film to help. Watch Rosemary as she completes her own form and explains what details you put where, and what all the gobbledygook actually means. 

Beware, you have to send this form to the court at least 35 days before your first hearing, and some of the evidence you need to include can take months to arrive. It is therefore best to watch this film and start working on it as soon as possible.

This is just one of our resources to help you manage your separation and divorce, and save you stress and money.   

You may also be interested in

A guide to applying for an order to settle your finances on divorce

A short film about what happens to pensions when you get divorced

A guide about how family mediation works and what to expect when you try it

A guide that helps you apply to court about arrangements for your children when you separate

The film supports our guide to going to court for a financial order to finalise your finances when you divorce or end a civil partnership. The guide also talks about how to do your financial statement,  as well as explaining, step-by-step, how to get a financial order. 

Through the guide, at the most important points, you can access our panel of expert family law solicitors for tailored legal advice at a reduced fixed-fee price. As you read through the guide you can get expert advice on: 

  • Form E and how to obtain the more complicated bits of information you need.
  • Any questions you have about filling in the form.
  • How to complete part 4.
  • Any extra reports you may need and how to get them.
  • What your next steps should be.

To read more on our Affordable Advice service and how it works take a look at Getting affordable advice from a family law solicitor via Advicenow

Produced March 2018
Reviewed September 2022


If we’ve helped you, please help us

Please tell us about your problem. Knowing more about our users and what you found useful helps us get funding to keep our website going. We also want to hear if there is anything you didn’t like or couldn’t find so that we can be even more useful. It is OK to skip questions – but please press ‘submit’ at the end as otherwise we don’t get your response.

About this film


The information in this guide applies to England and Wales and is for general purposes only. The law may be different if you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

The law is complicated. We have simplified things in the guide to give you an idea of how the law applies to you if you are a young worker. Please don't rely on this guide as a complete statement of the law or as a substitute for getting legal advice about what to do in the specific circumstances of your case.

The quotes and cases we refer to are not always real but show a typical situation. We hope they help you think about how to deal with your own situation.


We are grateful to the Family Justice Council for funding this film. We would like to thank all those who provided feedback on the script.

The review of this film was funded by the Litigant in Person Support Strategy. 

5 Reviews

filling in form E

very helpful thank you
on the 29 / 09 / 2018

More films please

This is absolutely brilliant. I had been struggling before i found it and it turns out the guesses i had made were wrong. Can you make them about the other forms?
on the 10 / 09 / 2018

filling in form E

really helpful, it is a mine field when you are trying to do it without a solicitor and this really helped. thanks
Wendy on the 16 / 07 / 2018

Incredibly helpful film

Most useful thing i've found so far
on the 05 / 07 / 2018

Thank you thank you thank you

Really very helpful.
on the 20 / 06 / 2018


Add new review

Donation Component

Can you help us to keep helping people like you?

We rely on donations to keep guides like this up-to-date and available for everyone who needs them.

Share this content

Email, print or share via social media