Going to a civil court

In this section we look at how you take things like housing, compensation, unpaid debts, broken contracts, or consumer problems to court. We understand that if you cannot get legal aid and cannot afford the help of a solicitor, going to court can be very stressful and difficult. We want to help you as much as we can. RCJ Advice Bureau’s guides to taking things like consumer disputes or claims for compensation to a civil court help you to find your way confidently through the process, and make the best case you can. We also highlight where you may be able to get further support and advice about your case, and have collected together the best information from other organisations about taking civil issues to court in England and Wales.

Got a minute? The Personal Support Unit provides practical and emotional support to those who are facing court alone. Their volunteers can offer someone to talk to, someone to attend court with you, and practical help with the legal process (not legal advice).  Completing this survey will help the PSU as they decide whether to expand their service to support people over the phone. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/RRXPRHV