Going to a civil court

In this section we look at how you take things like housing, compensation, unpaid debts, broken contracts, or consumer problems to court.

Sometimes this is called taking a civil claim, taking someone to court, or suing someone. You might use the small claims court, or the fast-track or multi-track processes in the county court.  

We know that if you cannot get legal aid and cannot afford the help of a solicitor, going to court can be very stressful and difficult. We want to help you as much as we can. We have resources about ways to resolve things outside court, as well as how to work out who to sue and if it will be worth it. We also highlight where you may be able to get further support and advice about your case, and have collected together the best information from other organisations about taking civil issues to court in England and Wales.

Coming soon is a step-by-step guide to taking a small claim for compensation for injuries if you have been hurt in a car accident that wasn't your fault.