Going to a civil court

In this section we look at how you take things like housing, compensation, money owed, breach of contract, consumer problems, or personal injury (including road traffic accidents and workers compensation) to the civil court. Sometimes this is called taking a civil claim,  a money claim, taking someone to court, or suing someone. You might take someone to the small claims court, or use the fast-track or multi-track process in a county court. We know that if you cannot get legal aid and cannot afford the help of a solicitor, going to court can be very stressful and difficult. We want to help you as much as we can. We have resources about ways to resolve things outside court, how to work out if it will be worth taking legal action, and guides to help you with each step if you decide to do it. If you are being sued the guides on this page will help you. We also highlight where you may be able to get further support and advice about your case, and have collected together the best information from other organisations about taking cases to the civil court in England and Wales.